Subject: RE: Cable Access
From: Dan Ablan <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:11:45 -0500

I guess I could put my .02 in as well.

Joe is right, most cable outfits don't have a clue. I'm speaking
from experience. I ran a local origination channel and a local
access channel for two and a half years. Cable companies, as
well as Telephone companies, especially phone companies whose
name starts with "AMER" are concerned of only ONE thing...
Profit.

What most people don't realize, is that a local origination 
channel, owes nothing to the access user. A local origination
channel CAN charge for advertising, AND deny public access.
A public access channel, on the other hand, has specific
community responsibilities, per their franchise agreement.
Usually, this involves free airtime to city officials, and
smelly political types. Most cable outfits run the access
user through an equipment course, kind of a TV 101, before
they are allowed to produce with access equipment. 

If cable companies would spend a little more money, and
a little more time with their access and LO channels, the
end user, us, the viewers, would all be better off. Access
channels in their eyes are not profit making ventures. They
never have been, and at this rate, never will be. I guess 
community and customer service, as usual, are the last thing
on a company's mind.

DA